Skip to main content

On the Other Side of Things



I am breathing a bit better.
I passed Spanish (barely) with a D. While that may not look like a feat to many, those who know me and the odd journey of that class will know it was a victory. Then I made higher grades in every other class than I thought. I made an A in a History class. Amen! I made another A in Theatre. And I made a B in History of Non-Western Music. I find it funny that my grades this term are A DAB for that is what I am, A DAB of brilliance and spirit!

It feels wonderful to know that I am a student again, meaning I am investing and attending and trying my best to learn.

I recently discovered I would be graduating a FULL TERM earlier. I will be finished with UALR in the Fall of 2010. I am going to make out with that piece of paper indeed. It has been such a long, odd, draining, invigorating, eye-opening adventure getting a degree. From the early days at UALR to AMDA and back to UALR through the sicknesses and deaths and depressions...

I feel as though I am on the other side of things.

Now, in the brilliant words of Jed Bartlet (Aaron Sorkin), I shall say:
"What's next?"

And that my fellow musing readers, is the most exciting question and I am SO looking forward to the next frontier.

Dustin

PSfP: The first picture is entitled "Relative Calm" and I love the tranquil and valiant sunlight peeking its head after a storm. Chaos happens and there is no fighting it. But sooner or later, the sun will shine and there will be a NEW DAY again. I love how that circle keeps churning and repeating.

The second picture is one that came across my laptop screen when I typed "serenity". I think it is beautiful and portrays finding calm in the midst of the storm, not after it, but in the midst. A very rare and special gift that grief taught me and continues to do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbroken Thread

Happy Christmas. It is upon us in this hour, this time, this day... after all the fuss, the frenetic pace, it smiles as it does each year finding us in some of the same places and in some different phases. I always flip through the rolodex of my life on this day, remembering the last 30 Christmases (well I guess I don't remember the first few that well) like they are all connected in one amazing thread charting my successes, my growth, my defeats, my darkness, and my light. Technically Christmas has not really begun. I have not done the ritual of heading to my Mom's and opening gifts and waltzing to see our Christmas film, but I have already been touched by Christmas. I write a lot, in this land of musings I have shared 257 writings with you, my friend, my reader spirits. Much has happened in these past two years, but let me simply write that I was not sure that I would ever enjoy Christmas again, ever really feel connected to it, no matter what I tried to do, I felt adrift ...

I Love the Clarks

I LOVE THE CLARKS!!!!!!!!!!!! (I used twelve exclamation marks/points to show the significance of the love and because twelve is my cosmic number.) It is that simple. Jay and Karen (and the illustrious Quin) allowed me to move into their lovely home under the proviso I would be out in a few days. Well that was October 18th and, look at your calendar folks, I am still here. I think that finally the light has bounced off of a nimbus cloud that I have not seen before and I might have a dwelling. But... I LOVE these two people. They just get me and leave me to my own devices. In this time where I have sequestered myself off into my own little respite lair, they have let me "do my own thing". And they are such lovely, talented, decent people. It has been my honour to get to know them more and their ultimate collaboration, THE Quin. He is the COOLEST child ever. I adore the boy. Tonight Jay, Karen, and I played a card game called Nerts. I am addicted and I saw new shades ...

Loving the Squiggly

I was typing the other day and instead of hitting the ! key I hit the ~ key. Two odd altercations happened between two friends and me via facebook so I have deactivated my account for a bit. It was hurtful and unexpected. So when I hit the ~ key it made me smile and forget all that nonsense. ~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dustin