Skip to main content

In the Colouring of How I Present the Gifts









The death of my Father has coloured the choices I make, the way I live, and the values I hold dear. Sometimes, I am surprised the extent to which it has affected me. I equate it to a new room on the house: this room of grief. For several months both my Mother and I lived in only that room and throughout this process we have ventured back into the rest of the home and, finally, back in to the world. But, from time to time we visit the room again and take a nap, meditate, knowing that room is forever a part of us. I believe that when one experiences a deep shifting to one end of the emotional spectrum, both sides actually strengthen and grow. For quite sometime although there have been some thrilling and touching moments, I think my heart was used to dwelling in the darker end. But....

In the past few days I have had the privilege of performing in a capable production of Sweeney Todd. I portray Anthony, a love-struck sailor. It has been three years since I have performed in a musical and returning to the musical genre was indeed a homecoming. The magic of a live performance is just that, magical. The minor nuances added to each show and the vibe and energy shifts from one show to the next fascinate me. It is has been a long road to possessing self confidence in what I deliver on the stage both in voice and in storytelling/acting, but I am proud of the work that I am contributing to this masterpiece that is Sweeney.

I began to cry as I was driving home after our show on Thursday. The positive feedback I was getting was special, but even more so was that I realized that I was doing well. I have said many times that I did not create my vocal chords and I am humbled that I can sing. I have aggressively pursued training for the gift, but had I not had "the pipes", that would do nothing. Sometimes I feel like my own superhero when I tell this sailor's tender story through "Johanna", "Ah Miss", and "Kiss Me" (how much fun is that?).

There is a particular moment in the show where Beadle kills the bird that I bought to give Johanna. In that moment, she is the bird and I realize that would be the course of her life, that she would die in some capacity... perhaps literally or locked in the cage that is her current situation with Judge Turpin. I like to draw on something from my real life that places me in the thought of that moment and that is organic and easily accessible. I have found that what transports me there is watching my Dad being taken off life support and watching his body slowly, slowly, slowly, die. And there was nothing I could do about it. This is hard to revisit, but I see that even the most painful chapters of our story can lead us to something truly honest, simply stirring, and amazing. This is the first musical I have performed that my Dad will not be in attendance, but he is in the material, my soul, he is helping me bring the story to life. That, in and of itself, is a miracle.

Thank you Dad.... you are somehow still helping me and being my most ardent supporter. You are still here when I need you. The relationship is not dead, just different.

Now I am rehearsing Godspell and I already see a tremendous experience unfurling. There is already a great symbiosis and camaraderie. In part because the director cast it that way. Listening/Singing to "On the Willows There" during read through was a challenge. It made me think about killing Duane (our Jesus) in the show, the first theatrical experience I had with Jamie, Duane (where he also played Jesus), and Andy in Cotton Patch Gospel. Also, resurrection of dead loved ones means more to me than in the past. Again, Dad you are present in the work. I get the opportunity to sing "All Good Gifts" and I could not be happier. My voice, on the other hand, is tired and having to go from Sweeney to Godspell in a day has proven daunting. I think I need to treat my voice to a night on the town and some sweet Dustin lovin'. I am not sure what gets vocal chords in the mood so I need to get to thinking. :-)

The pictures are from our second party for Sweeney. It is difficult to meander trying to be social with the cast, perform well in the show, and rehearse this other dramatically different musical... Ah -- trying to be responsible... :-) The party was fun and I likey that we all have remnants of makeup on our faces. To explain the humping picture: That is Roben and she does all sorts of naughty things to me in the show as the Beggar Woman (and she is darn fantastic too!) and I thought it only fitting (as did she) to return the favour.

This one has been a long one poppets. You had time to floss multiple times. :-)

Much love for life, gifts, newfound friends, and musical theatre storytelling,
Dustin

Comments

melissa.laney said…
this and you are beautiful. miss you :)
Brandon Beam said…
Good post, man. I shouldn't have read it at work. :)

The first response to comes to mind: Have you checked your oil?

The middle: I believe that I have been changed for the better.

The last: I feel like that room used to be really small, dark, and lonely. But it's grown recently, and I feel okay meeting other people there now. Nice to see you!
William Wallace said…
Hey Dustin! I love your writing!

It is amazing how vulnerable you are by sharing thoughts about your father and how draw that experience in your artistry!

I already feel blessed for knowing you! It feels like I've known forever since I've been hearing Dustin Beam this or Dustin Beam that for the last three years at the theater!

I do look forward to experiencing more Dustinism in the future!!
Unknown said…
Loved the blog my dear. It has been wonderful working with you on Sweeney and I know that working together on Godspell is going to be an adventure. I love you! I'll see you in about 30 minutes!

p.s. love your picture at the top on the roof of our dorms in Urbino. (I took it!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

Much Needed Silence

The past few days I have liked the darkness, the silence of my room. I have not come out much and have watched "Sleepless in Seattle" over and over and over and over. I started wondering why I want to be alone (I am not depressed at all) and started doing the roommate math. I have lived with 41 different people in my life. I have lived in 21 different living environments not including all the different times I moved around with my family as a kid. I have hit a wall where I just want ME time and a lot of it, no talking, no sharing, just alone time. In this much needed silence I find that I am a much simpler person than I once was, that I really love the quiet, and that it is time to live alone soon. I have done the roomie thing more than anyone I know and met some wonderful people, but I am overloaded with that experience. So, back to "Sleepless in Seattle" and my much needed silence. Dustin