Skip to main content

It's All About the Small Things "People" Say, The Dangers of Floss, and A Funky Lady Liberty :-)


You know there is a reason that people say: Life is about the small things. I have not a clue who these "people" are but we as a society certainly reference them in a bibliographical-esque way often, don't we? (MLA Documentation is your friend.) I try to be mindful of these small things, these moments that are special in their simplicity. Some days that is more difficult than others. Or in some cases, in some years that is more difficult than others. (Hello, 2007 anyone? Anyone? Bueller... Bueller?) Then there are those moments that transpire that you just know that it is a special and simple thing. "Take note", you say. "Take note."

I have done just that: taken note. The other day was a hectic one for me and I was rushing around, driving in my
li'l car and listening to some cast recording and acting as though we were in the recording session, recording what was surely to be the Tony Award winner musical of that year: and a landslide victory poppets because when I dream, I dream BIG. Is there any other way? Back to the Topic Train (choo-choo): I drove past this place of business where there is either a man dressed as Uncle Sam or a woman dressed as The Statue of Liberty. I often see this place and these people and am amused, but today the lady was listening to music on her phone and dancing like there was no tomorrow. In my head I saw the real Statue of Liberty breaking it down to a funky beat and I was more tickled that my daily allotment, much less for just a moment. She was experiencing unbridled joy. That is always a beautiful thing and something that seems lacking in some as we get older. I am a MASSIVE proponent of spontaneous outbursts of joy, dancing, singing, compliments, card giving, love, and drinking the Dr. Pepper o' life. In that simple thing, I felt her joy and Lady Liberty made me giggle.

I have had more than sufficient woes in the past year. I now only reference them to show from where I have come and to highlight where I want to venture. I have truly found that after feeling as though you are in an emotional tidal wave and void simultaneously, you are changed: the deeper the pain experienced, the richer the joy attained. I am now living in a realm of joy about the small things: the fact that I had an okay day is an achievement and quite significant in my world. The beauty of my adorable nephew Beckett, the numerous musical opportunities I continue to experience, looking ahead to moving to pursue my passion, the simplicity of feeling alive again after missing Dad, the realization that your heart is still intact and hope abounds... these are the simple things and, conversely, the most important ones.
Ahh, the brilliance of duality and paradox.

Last night I went to Kira's house and watched
Enchanted. That film is clever, fun, refreshing, and pays homage to some of cinema's finest achievements: that being the Disney animated classics. I sing because of Aladdin. (And because I'm free... ha!) That musical opened my eyes to musicals and it is my heritage. I am like a child watching Enchanted and I am elated at the special features that show how the movie came to life, the way the musical numbers were staged, and discovering the behind the scenes information that intrigues me deeply.

One of the sweetest insights: There are older dancers in the number,
That's How You Know. One of the men was in the Mary Poppins film, two were in the the film version of West Side Story. You can tell that these guys just love doing what they do and the craft itself. It is my fervent hope that I am like that when I am their age and that I have had the success that they have. They are not superstars (Of course I ask what is that these days when all we seem to talk about are Paris and Britney: two unparalleled talents no doubt... uh, yeah) but have gotten to really live the life of an actor, dancer, performer. How amazing and, again, a simple thing.

The day is beautiful. Incredible that a ball of fire that far away can sustain life and also make a damn good day. Now talk about a miracle. The planets, the stars, all of it... and we haven't even begun to understand that realm. We have not even understood our little world. Funny how we ascribe meaning and labeling to our lives... Have you even taken a second and thought about that? We do not understand the
untangibles and even the tangibles we say we understand are proven wrong all the time. I am back to believing in something higher than this plane of existence, delving into the untangibles and, FRIENDS (one of the only times that I am NOT referencing the show), it feels WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel as though Faith has been a pal with whom I lost touch and I decided the other day to call him and say, "Hey, here is my new cell number. I miss you. How have you been?" (I want to make it clear that I am not referring to Faith Hill here, but the untangible of belief in the unseen.)

A funny thing (happened on the way to the forum): I think that a grand total of 10 people have read this blog, but I feel like a blog god and that I have readers. I even refer to them in my head when I am searching for a topic. So, to you readers: I love you and thanks for the
Internet patronage. Oh the pleasures of being an Internet SUPERSTAHHHHHHR!

Another weird thing: (3 really that happened within the same hour) I am a fan of flossing as I have paid much
mullah on my teeth. I reference it in blogs for that reason, plus it makes your teeth feel sparkly clean. Well, yesterday my floss attacked me and there was some of the red fluid. Yuk and surprise (Like Bend and Snap or Stop, Drop, and Roll) on that front. #2: I ran to take my final makeup test and my right foot fell in mud and I was wearing a flip-flop. Gross! I went into the bathroom and cleaned off my foot in the sink. I remember thinking, "I am like Jesus." I promptly felt weird for thinking that. #3. I had treated myself to Lemonheads the other night and had left them in my bag. I opened my bag and 70ish Lemonheads were staring at me confused about where their home was: "We belong in a nice little box or your tummy, not in this cute leather contraption bought at Target. What happened?"

Well, floss malfunctions, mud
slidings, Jesus allusions, and Lemonhead confusion are all a part of the simple things and unusual things. Take care and I hope that you are able to take notice of the small, simple, and glorious things.

Always floss, knowing that one day the floss might floss back.

Dustin Ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

Much Needed Silence

The past few days I have liked the darkness, the silence of my room. I have not come out much and have watched "Sleepless in Seattle" over and over and over and over. I started wondering why I want to be alone (I am not depressed at all) and started doing the roommate math. I have lived with 41 different people in my life. I have lived in 21 different living environments not including all the different times I moved around with my family as a kid. I have hit a wall where I just want ME time and a lot of it, no talking, no sharing, just alone time. In this much needed silence I find that I am a much simpler person than I once was, that I really love the quiet, and that it is time to live alone soon. I have done the roomie thing more than anyone I know and met some wonderful people, but I am overloaded with that experience. So, back to "Sleepless in Seattle" and my much needed silence. Dustin