Skip to main content

The Unbroken Thread



Happy Christmas.

It is upon us in this hour, this time, this day... after all the fuss, the frenetic pace, it smiles as it does each year finding us in some of the same places and in some different phases.

I always flip through the rolodex of my life on this day, remembering the last 30 Christmases (well I guess I don't remember the first few that well) like they are all connected in one amazing thread charting my successes, my growth, my defeats, my darkness, and my light.

Technically Christmas has not really begun. I have not done the ritual of heading to my Mom's and opening gifts and waltzing to see our Christmas film, but I have already been touched by Christmas.

I write a lot, in this land of musings I have shared 257 writings with you, my friend, my reader spirits. Much has happened in these past two years, but let me simply write that I was not sure that I would ever enjoy Christmas again, ever really feel connected to it, no matter what I tried to do, I felt adrift and as though I was living THROUGH it, not in it.

And I have every reason to be in that place right now; there are difficulties looming and death still bows to the family again...

YET...

I find myself renewed in the faith that once walked hand in hand with me.

I hear the voice that I stopped hearing so many years ago, that voice that brought me purpose and joy... a voice that I left, but I now realize NEVER once left me.

That being the voice of God.

So on this day where some celebrate God being born in flesh as a baby boy, let me say:

Thank you God for NEVER leaving me even when I did not hear you,
when I lost all faith in You,
in me,
in life,
in who I could be.

I cried at my church service tonight for several reasons:

Life:
I feel you singing in my very veins, a song that makes me smile from a place I thought dead, but this death was only imagined... this song that makes me whole kisses my cheek and winks at me like a returning friend...

Death:
I love you Dad.
I love you Grandpa...
and to my newfound friend, I am with you on the difficult journey of the first Christmas without, feeling that your thread is broken...

but let me tell you this:

It is NEVER broken, it but branches off to another strand and when you least expect it, there will be something glorious right in your midst, your heart will beat as it did before,

but this time it will beat with more passion and more determination and with a new rhythm that remembers and sees, is a witness to those who are "gone".

Today I had a wonderful meal with my Fictive Kinship Guild (most of them), attended a church service that moved me to tears, was able to lift my voice to the cosmos and link to the thread of the past, the thread of what is to come, and sing to God again. To delight in His presence is a homecoming I thought lost, to sing to my Grandpa and my Dad and lift my voice in power this year, in strength and proclaim:

I sing this year for YOU who is faithless, who is lost, who is sad, who is wandering...

Take my hand, I have been there and I will help lead you home.

Overwhelmed at the beauty that is within each of us on this silent night, this holy night,
Dustin

Bevan gave me a CD from Canada entitled the Canadian Tenors and I laughed because he said he gave it to me because they were all good looking. Ha. I felt lead to open and explore the CD and was taken with the next lyric. Then I placed the CD in my laptop and listened to the music of my heart. Coincidence, I think not my dear ones:

"Watching Over Me" (Jack Lenz, Charles Dickens)
The pure, the bright, the beautiful
that stirred our hearts in youth
The whisper of a wordless prayer
the streams of love and truth
A longing after something lost
the spirits yearning cry
Striving after better hopes
these things can never die

There will always be a shining
sun, there will always be the
rising of the sea
There will always be an angel
watching over me

A timid hand stretched forth to
aid a brother in his need
A kindly word in grief's dark hour
that proves a friend indeed
So shall a light that cannot fade,
beam on thee from on high
And angel voices say to thee
these things shall never die

There will always be a shining
sun, there will always be the
rising of the sea
There will always be an angel
watching over me
There will always be an angel
watching over all

Comments

Ms. Hep said…
I follow your blog quite faithfully, and this was a most eloquent entry that has truly touched my heart. For those of us who have lost & then re-found our way, because sometimes there is nothing left to turn to but faith - that is quite a daunting feeling.

Merry Christmas to you and thank you for bringing just a bit of your joy into this earth for the rest of us :)
Adam said…
Dustin! This is wonderful!!! Bless you and you mother, and Merry Christmas my friend. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

Much Needed Silence

The past few days I have liked the darkness, the silence of my room. I have not come out much and have watched "Sleepless in Seattle" over and over and over and over. I started wondering why I want to be alone (I am not depressed at all) and started doing the roommate math. I have lived with 41 different people in my life. I have lived in 21 different living environments not including all the different times I moved around with my family as a kid. I have hit a wall where I just want ME time and a lot of it, no talking, no sharing, just alone time. In this much needed silence I find that I am a much simpler person than I once was, that I really love the quiet, and that it is time to live alone soon. I have done the roomie thing more than anyone I know and met some wonderful people, but I am overloaded with that experience. So, back to "Sleepless in Seattle" and my much needed silence. Dustin

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan