Skip to main content

Mind Meanderings


I find myself listening to songs I have loved for years, letting their lyrics and familiar melodies soothe me, transport me to the tranquil trail right before sleep... yes, I am writing but in no time I shall be asleep.

Mind meanderings, how I visit these trails often, some are new to me, some trails I have known most of my days.

Right now my mind meanders to love of the romantic persuasion. That is certainly not a new topic of mine. I have wanted it for so long and tried to procure it this year.

I laugh at my efforts like an older man laughs at a younger man who is trying and not understanding that the best in life is not found when seeking, but when one lets go.

No, I am not in love. Do not misread.

But I am thinking about love and all that requires differently. I know myself in the realm of people so well, how to talk to new people, how to make inter-personal relationships work, but get me around a man I like and...

Gyidhalfhgftekmfbnabvsjnaskfnkjyei!

(That is the indiscernible sound my spirit makes. Yes, I just typed random letters on the keyboard, but they achieved the desired result. Ha.)

I don't let it throw me off balance nor do I get as dramatic about it all as I used to, even like I did several months ago. There is a wondrous thing about frame of reference, it gives one power and perspective.

But I just have not really done this and when there is any type of potential I begin thinking and I always seem to comb through some of the same thoughts:

Am I the man that you want/need, the one that will make your life better? And are YOU the man I want/need?

Will you challenge me and see the world with me and let us help each other see it differently together?

Will you help me understand what this love thing is about, why I keep writing musings about it and feel it calling, maybe feel you calling to me? (Yes, I have dated and I was in love, but it was 11 years ago and I am so different than I was back then that I cannot even wrap my heart around the concept anymore... so I feel like I am a newbie in terms of love.)

What kind of man do I want?

I know certain values I need and such, but do I want a chatterbox like me or a simple, quiet man? Or someone deliciously in the nuanced middle that I could never create in mere fantasy?

My friendship circle is a wealth of splendid friends... Who do I want to be the ONE that I tell it all (well, most... I think some should be simply my little playground), the ONE that sees the most, especially when my closest friendships are so intimate...

These are for me to learn and seek, hence the meanderings of the mind title...

I do know that I will not allow this search or possibility to derail me as some of the past have. I am happy and plan to stay that way. I like that colour on me. And as horrid and hilarious this year of looking and dating has been, at least I have done it. (Yes even in the dirty way. Winks. Wait my Mom reads this. Well, she would probably just say, "Good for you son, be safe." Thanks Mom and I was.) And I have demystified this process, it no longer makes me stop in my tracks and NEVER try. So that is a stunning victory.

Although I think I would be a great boyfriend, I am a bit of a perpetual blank stare about all of this... I want to ask some people, "How did you do this and not let it drive you mad?" Ha. (To clarify, I am mad like the Hatter, not in a scary way.)

Still, liking another person is such a funny, head-scratching, what the hell does that mean, I like it, do it again please, why does he make sense to me, really, did you say that, kiss me again and never stop, I wish the world smelled like you did wonder of the world.

And as odd as I am, as intense, as different, I am so GLAD that I am for I eat these experiences and I know that somewhere there will be one that gets it... and even if that does not happen, I at least am opening myself up to the possibility of it happening and that is a miracle unto itself.

Thanks for meandering with me,
Dustin

Comments

Unknown said…
Yes, your mother reads your blogs, and yes, I would likely now say, "Go for it," whereas I would have chimed in a different response when you were younger. But like you, I have grown and changed. I had my list of character dos and don'ts for the man I was going to date after Dad died, but I tossed out the list the day Terry came back into my life. My soul and heart responded to him with the most natural response of my life, opening like a rosebud coming awake and blossoming into the rose it was meant to be. I pray the same for you, Son. Not that you would become a rose, but you get my drift. LOL. Much love. Your #1 Fan, Mom

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

Much Needed Silence

The past few days I have liked the darkness, the silence of my room. I have not come out much and have watched "Sleepless in Seattle" over and over and over and over. I started wondering why I want to be alone (I am not depressed at all) and started doing the roommate math. I have lived with 41 different people in my life. I have lived in 21 different living environments not including all the different times I moved around with my family as a kid. I have hit a wall where I just want ME time and a lot of it, no talking, no sharing, just alone time. In this much needed silence I find that I am a much simpler person than I once was, that I really love the quiet, and that it is time to live alone soon. I have done the roomie thing more than anyone I know and met some wonderful people, but I am overloaded with that experience. So, back to "Sleepless in Seattle" and my much needed silence. Dustin