Skip to main content

"Talespin" Time of the Tantalizing Two and the Tricky Tongue Talker, "To't"


Since Friday I have:
Travelled to Van Buren (2ish hours one way),
Performed our little show, done my cowboy magic feats,
Driven back (again another 2ish hours... weird if it were different heading back that venturing there),
Unpacked feverishly (the pile continues to grow and I think that it is actually spawning clones of some sort),
Recorded a DVD for an audition because I could not attend,
Gone to a tech for a show in which I am the wardrobe running crew (never done the backstage thing... hmm),
Due to being finished early, jumped in the car and went to the C-way (30 minutes) to audition in person.

WHEW.

I am SO GLAD that I have found self confidence that does not seem to wane. As I was driving to the audition, I thought, "Damn, I am exhausted. Should I really go and put this shell of a performer into the audition process, especially when they have seen a DVD of me?"

But I did.

And it made me feel like I had accomplished something worthwhile.

Shoot back to several months ago. I had to painstakingly convince myself to audition for "Sweeney Todd" and "Les Mis". In fact, I almost talked myself out of auditioning for the wondrous Miz. Think about how my life would have been lacking if I had not sucked it up and been brave.

Now I feel a profound freedom... I have gotten the bad taste of the auditioning in NYC out of my mouth. Also, I have realized that the majority of my self-worth does not reside in being an actor/singer/storyteller, I have let go of being afraid that I will not "make" it. I know that I am talented and I will simply attend the auditions and do the best that I can possibly do, make strong choices, enjoy the process, and let the cards fall where they may. Because of this viewpoint, I have performed INORDINATELY better at auditions and shows. In fact, I feel as though I have finally found my voice. Nice to have perspective about this nebulous entity that has ruled my life for so long. Nice to be ruling it for a change. I will go and do my "thang", analyze it for a bit and leave it alone, for all I can do is my best and leave the rest up to the decisions of the casting peeps. Ha, I love the word peeps.

I did well last night. I almost made out with a piano during my audition using the song "I Love a Piano". Gotta love that. It was delightful to have Karen playing the audition and then to read with Jayphen. Quin was there too. (He drove in with his "Dora" posse of two and a half year old ruffians.) The blending of two worlds is always charming and awe-inspiring.

Those auditioners saw a lot of me due to the DVD with two songs ("Treat Me Rough" and "Johanna") and then with the monologue and "I Love a Piano". It was like a Dustin Ashley Beam set.

Oddities abounded in this process of getting the DVD ready and getting into the actual audition. First, I could not find my sheet music to "Treat...". I found EVERY other piece of music I own, but not the one I needed so I had to download it (actually Jayphen did -- thanks to you Jester Poppet) and print it off and have Karen's keyboard transpose it. (Karen played the audition when she was rather "tired" and I thank her for that too.)

When I was rushing to leave to audition in the C-way (that is Conway to you non-Arkansan readers) I found that my newest selection was missing the last page. So I could not use the first piece because it was in the wrong key and the second was missing a page. The irony was not lost on me... I would sing the last page of "I Love a PIANO" acapella.

Then I arrived and tried to put my contacts in and one got stuck in my eye and I was digging in my eye like a greedy leprechaun sifting through a newfound pot of gold. Speaking of pot, when I was finished I looked like I had been smoking copious amounts of pot and realized that the contact had fallen out and was on my mid-seat compartment in the car.

So I walked into the audition...
exhausted,
music not all there,
red-eyed,
flustered...

but, (Mind over matter)
DETERMINED and READY.

This shows how far I have grown. Through all this comedy of errors, I was able to do well. I read for Carmen in "Producers". There were several others there that did a fun and compelling read, so that is up in the air. I read for "Shrew" and that was my first Shakespeare audition.

I looked at the Shakespeare side and some of it looked like Sanskrit to me. As a person who tries to possess, hone, and demonstrate an intelligent vocabulary, it is odd when there are several words and contextual meanings with which I am unfamiliar. So, I decided to be myself and ask how to pronounce a couple words and what they meant.

I read with a fellow who was a Shakespeare guy and who also read exquisitely for Carmen. (You are hysterical Josh!) We were to read one part the first time and then toggle. I have never had to do that either... read a side and look at both roles equally as diligently. We had a nice chemistry and the reading went well... except,

"to't".

I had read most of the side when I got to this word and all I could think about was Sonic and its tater TOTS. I stopped and looked at it (I had read it, but I could not wrap my mind or my words around the anomaly of this contraction.)

I halted and looked quizzically at the auditioner.

"How do you say this?"

He laughed, informed me about the word, and the audition went on swimmingly.

I had to read as an old man that wants a woman whom he will never acquire. I was told that I needed to be as big as possible and so I went there.

"That was creepy," he affirmed... and, yes, I can bring out my straight older lecherous side when it is needed.

"I probably should not tell an auditioner this, but this is my first Shakespeare side reading. Thanks," I told the auditioner at the conclusion of the reading.
"Really, good job," he said.

So, who knows if I get a role in either, but I was myself in the process (a victory and one that has been long in waiting) and I learned and realized that I can overcome anything and still deliver a product for which I am proud.

And now I want some tater to'ts!

Thanks for reading this massive entry. (hmmm, that sounds both dirty and like an alternative band.)

The well is full once more,
Dustin

Comments

Quin saw me reading this entry , looked at the Talespin art and said, "I want to print some of these."
fraktol said…
I had to sing Cellophane a capella, and did a gibberish monologue.

I did not get a call back, probably because of the Equity card I sold my soul for.

Congratulations!
I am sure you did fine. :-)

Was the forementioned Josh's last name Rice?

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

Much Needed Silence

The past few days I have liked the darkness, the silence of my room. I have not come out much and have watched "Sleepless in Seattle" over and over and over and over. I started wondering why I want to be alone (I am not depressed at all) and started doing the roommate math. I have lived with 41 different people in my life. I have lived in 21 different living environments not including all the different times I moved around with my family as a kid. I have hit a wall where I just want ME time and a lot of it, no talking, no sharing, just alone time. In this much needed silence I find that I am a much simpler person than I once was, that I really love the quiet, and that it is time to live alone soon. I have done the roomie thing more than anyone I know and met some wonderful people, but I am overloaded with that experience. So, back to "Sleepless in Seattle" and my much needed silence. Dustin