Skip to main content

The Kaleidoscope is Me: Clear in this Carnival Ride



I feel clear.
I feel refreshed.
I feel joyous to be alive and experiencing all that I am right now.
It certainly has been a twisty, bendalicious few months, but I like the pretzel spectrum in which I now dwell.

SOME ITEMS OF NOTE:
The blog has a tweaked title and new heading that I find fitting. There is also a fun new picture of me that is one of THOSE pictures that captures the essence of a person. I look at it and I think, "That is ME." There is also some alliterative fun for we all know how I like that.

The following is an online correspondence I had a few weeks ago with a rather insightful man. Ever since the chat, I have been thinking about what he wrote and it inspired me to tweak the blog. (I do not usually record online communications, but I saved his as I found it captivating and bold. I informed him that I was saving it.)

I would say the first word coming to mind is 'glowing'
there is a live current about you, something lit brightly
magnetism
it's really unusual
your mind is constantly producing
and it's an obvious thing even through this limited medium
... a second word...
you chose the word 'kaleidoscope' on your blog
ABOUT your blog
I think the kaleidoscope is actually yourself
the many brilliant and varied aspects of you all somehow contained neatly in this
handsome package
totally random
but still consistent

It was a heartening conversation that lasted for hours and this particular section moved me. I have begun to think of the kaleidoscope as a friend and an object that does embody much of who I am and try to be.

In the heading underneath the title I placed 12 self-descriptors. Since some are more easily discernible than others, I will share what all of them mean to me and why I included them.

The journey journals -- I used this term in a blog several months back and really liked it. I adore the word "journey" and I do think of this blog as a journey journal.

the crimson song -- This is in a lyric of a song that I wrote for my forthcoming CD, "In Tune". In the song I use it to embody my love song, but in this case it means how I AM music, it is me and it is one of my greatest gifts and passions and forever shall remain. And I find crimson to be a classy colour and I strive to be classy.

delicious nap -- I can ALWAYS sleep and love it every single time. I wish that I could live in pjs and a bed.

pensive mime -- I am quite psychoanalytical and during these times I am quiet, but I liked the word mime because there is still a fun and odd element lurking about even in my most quiet times.

October wind -- October is by far my favourite month. There is something magical about it and I am an avid fan of the Autumn. I am enraptured by the wind and find it to be of another world, almost mythical in nature. So the two together just seemed fitting to me.

bathtub sanctuary -- Almost every idea for songs, stories, etc. appeared whilst I was showering or taking a bath. My muse must like me naked for he visits there. I find such sanctuary and therapy being in water and surrounded by it and in it.

Sandi follower -- Anyone that has known me even for a short amount of time knows that Sandi Patty is my favourite singer and that I would not be the musician I am today without her. There are many singers I cherish, but she will always be the number one. No one can ever replace her, ever.

Hogwarts graduate -- I find divinity in the Book of Potter, I do. Something about the saga ministers to my heart. I love EVERYTHING about the series and it is one of the greatest things ever invented in my humble opinion.

cosmic twelve -- Ever since 11th grade when I made 12th chair in All-State choir, the number 12 has been closely linked to me. It is in my birthday 7/5 (7+5=12), Sandi's birthday is July 12th, many songs I love are the 12th track. It is sometimes spooky how much this number appears in my life. He and I are cosmically linked and I like it. :-)

Central Perker -- Not since Sandi Patty has there been an entertainment device that heals and thrills me ALL THE TIME. It is an odd night when I do not fall asleep to "Friends" playing on my little DVD player in my bed. That series helped me during the grief process years ago and the rhythm of the show is in step with my heart, who I am, and it is just... well, me.

child-like poppet -- I strive to possess a beginner's mind in all I attempt and think that I never had that moment where I stopped liking toys or child-like things. I still love TMNT, Powerpuff Girls, Jem, He-Man, She-Ra, and I always will. I respect children and wish that we did not lose that wonder... I am trying to keep mine in tact. Some days are easier than others, but I like to think I garner some kid points for trying. Poppet. Hell, I do not remember when I started using that word (only a couple of years ago) but I LLLLLLOOOOOVVVEEEE it. It makes me smile and if I ever have "fans" per se, I shall call them my poppets. I am not a "fan" of the word fan. Hee. Poppet, now that is a fun and evocative little word.

triumphant phoenix -- In the past couple of years I have related to the phoenix, arising from the ashes a new creature and bravely beginning anew. It is a passionate belief of mine that no matter what, one can always being anew, ALWAYS. I have felt lost and forgotten and dead, but somehow I have risen again. I treasure the phoenix in all of us.

storytelling kaleidoscope -- If my career passions could be encapsulated in one word that would be: STORYTELLER. I love to tell stories through journey journals, songs, musicals, shows, talking, online conversation, phone, stuffed animals (Oh the stories they could tell of me)....

And I am a kaleidoscope.

I hope that you enjoy the colours of me, from the seemingly random to the deepest hues, I promise to share that which makes me giggle, makes me warm, and makes my life abundant in the hopes that you enjoy, learn, and pause to see your own colours as well. Oh, we are all connected in this carnival ride.

I thank you for reading this entry and thank you for being a part of my life.

Love,
Dustin

P.S. There is also a newly added footnote (if you will) at the bottom of my blog. I think it is self-explanatory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

beautiful... semantic... choices... unfurled

myriad cornucopia plethora literally audacious entrancing vestibule dance periwinkle crimson altruism blueberry + muffin organic journey twilight hero hue cuddle pajamas heartened cadence intertwine kaleidoscope soliathero fathom innate perplexing labyrinth unrequited world flourish arise focus kindred besmirch indicative plenary wind-chime fluidity curiosity colours music harmony resolve .... poppet in the words i find solace, escape, expression, and boldness... in the blanket of these words i find... me... dustin