Skip to main content

Catharsis

I have been trying to get rid of the emotions I had for the man I dated for almost four months, but tonight I realized:

I don't have to let go of my feelings, I can cradle them inside for as long as I need.

And the biggest epiphany was this:

I loved him - it happened, it just was. I did not allow myself to admit that until tonight. I would have done anything for him... I just do not think that he was ready for what I had to offer.

So, although I am not there yet, I know one day I will be grateful for this pain, grateful for the heartache that made me feel as though my soul was ripped apart, because it allowed me to know the depths I can love someone, to finally experience that place I had always imagined to be within me.

I don't know what the future holds. I thought he could be "my one" and that is something I have waited for and dreamed about for so long that I did not want to see it go.

To watch that dream die, that idea of what we could have been...

but I never have to truly sever that connection. That is what has been killing me: thinking that I must break that bond. If we ever talk, it would be when he is ready and more aware, but I am connected to him for always because once I love it is never forgotten.

And while I still might get angry at some of the ways I was treated, at how actions that could have been so easily avoided made me have to leave, I will never forget that love that I felt and will always be proud of the man that I was and am... one that loves with all his heart and soul and dared to go after someone that he thought was his dream embodied.

Good for me, I am a brave man.

The turmoil I face is a representation of my love, and when I look at it that way it makes it a bit easier.

I have been asking for a month now, did I make the right decision and have heard many perspectives... but I needed to know it for myself. But this decision was/is about ME.

It was the HARDEST decision I have ever made to date, but I know it was right... at least for now. Who is to say what could happen? I certainly am not making predictions or waiting around, but I know that I have had the answer to that question in my heart and it merely needed to take its own time to reveal itself unto me.

So, I need to trust my instincts. This is my life and I determine how I live it. I really have made some poor decisions, avoided things I should not, but I have also lived a life of adventure and of passion.

But loving someone is never a poor decision.

It just is what it is.
I must learn to trust that the answers will come when I am ready to understand and live them. Tonight, I made a big stride in doing that.

But to you, the man whom I knew for such a short time, know that I loved you.

And to myself, good for you for being nakedly honest.

Dustin

Comments

froggergirl said…
Wasn't it Shakespeare that said, "Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all..."?
I think your acceptance of what you felt and not trying to destroy the past by denying it, is ___ I can't think of the right word, b/c it's so late, or early. "Positive" is too dull a word. So many times we, as humans, feel that we must deny recognizing what we experience in relationships because the relationship didn't take the course we had hoped, or our expectations weren't met, or we were just flat out hurt, and are broken-hearted. We blame the other person, we slander them or try to defame them in conversation to cover the pain or put a little salve on the wounds.
What you are doing is noble, in the sense that you are saying, "This is what it was. This was what I've learned about myself. This may not have fulfilled my dreams and hopes. But, I'm facing the pain. And accepting my current status."
I am very proud of you. I know I will use this epiphany of yours when I comfort my kids' break-ups to come. I know that will happen. We all walk through swamps like these.
Dear friend, by sharing you allow us to walk through the swamp with you, pulling you out of quicksand, when needed, holding hands for balance, and laughing at fear together.
(I hope this makes sense.)
Loving you,
Jen

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

beautiful... semantic... choices... unfurled

myriad cornucopia plethora literally audacious entrancing vestibule dance periwinkle crimson altruism blueberry + muffin organic journey twilight hero hue cuddle pajamas heartened cadence intertwine kaleidoscope soliathero fathom innate perplexing labyrinth unrequited world flourish arise focus kindred besmirch indicative plenary wind-chime fluidity curiosity colours music harmony resolve .... poppet in the words i find solace, escape, expression, and boldness... in the blanket of these words i find... me... dustin