Skip to main content

From the Court Jester: Congratulations to Regi and Jeremy: I Am Ready for My Own Love





True love is a sight to behold.
I was asked to perform "All You Need is Love" in my dear friends Regi and Jeremy's nuptials. It was a Renaissance theme and in a backyard that would make HGTV people gawk. It was the embodiment of their spirit. They were in the energy of the ceremony. As emotional as I can become over life, I rarely cry at weddings. One would think the opposite of me, hell.... I even do and I AM ME. (Thought provoking blogging dwells here... right now...)

I was deeply moved by this ceremony. The vows, the readings, the ambiance, the costumes, the love, the union.

When I fall in love (it will be forever... wait) I would love to have a ceremony that was this real, anchored in joy.

I have included a few pictures of the wedding and my jester-esque wedding ensemble. It was FUN to wear. (I feel I have a jester's soul.)

There was a particular reading that made me cry because it put words to my heart and how I feel about love, marriage, etc. I am a big believer that I am complete in myself and that I am not searching for a man that COMPLETES me, rather a relationship of reciprocity and respect, in which we share one another's lives. I have never liked the idea that I am walking around 3/4 complete and will not know that other 1/4 until I meet THE ONE. However, I am romantic and believe in true love, romance, deep talks, long cuddling sessions, and finding a man that levels me... that sees part of my story that I have not shared... just waiting for the ultimate audience, that being my love, my heart.

The past few weeks, much talk has revolved around dating and being single. Enough so that the topic has been a reoccurring emotional theme.

I am different. I used to say that to establish an identity that placed me away from others. I had been so hurt and emotionally jaded from junior high and high school antics and verbal abuse that I decided that I would cast myself as odd so I could flit about and do what I wanted when I wanted it. I did not realize that decision placed me away from others.

As I have grown to love who I am and see where I am going, I have realized that I am genuinely different than a lot of gay guys I happen to meet. Not different as in better or worse, just different. I have not dated in years and am not casual about sex. I do not enjoy going to clubs (unless it is an architectural dreamboat and the dance floor is impeccable).

I like talking and getting to know people. I like watching TV on DVD. I like making people giggle. I like odd physical comedy. I love singing and telling stories. I like people that are real and know who they are. I do not like incessant drama that has no purpose other than to be gratuitous.

I have let go of a tremendous amount of guilt about silly things. I do not have to like partying or small talk or sports or all my family gathering in one environment.

I am my own party, enriching conversation sparks me, Quidditch is the only sport I follow, I love my family but have members that are my heart's DNA not my biological DNA.

As I have been writing lyrics to a love song, my mind has been in the realm of thought of being single, feeling alone...

I sat there watching the exquisite Regi recalling the talks we had about being single and how she yearned for a soul mate, a partner, the love of her life. I actually prayed for her and asked that she receive it. At that point, she was single, i was single, so were several of my allies. I surveyed the gathering and thought that, one by one, they are all coupled (some in wonderful ways and some in complicated-I-would-not-want-it-that-way fashion). This brought me a paradox of joy that their heart's cry had been answered and sadness that I was still alone.

Below is the passage that was read at the wedding and one that stirred me:

Why Marriage?
Mari Nichols-Haining

Because to the depths of me, I long to love one person,
With all my heart, my soul, my mind, my body...

Because I need a forever friend to trust with the intimacies of me,
Who won't hold them against me,
Who loves me when I'm unlikable,
Who sees the small child in me, and
Who looks for the divine potential of me...

Because I need to cuddle in the warmth of the night
With someone who thanks God for me,
With someone I feel blessed to hold...

Because marriage means opportunity
To grow in love in friendship...

Because marriage is a discipline
To be added to a list of achievements...

Because marriages do not fail, people fail
When they enter into marriage
Expecting another to make them whole...

Because, knowing this,
I promise myself to take full responsibility
For my spiritual, mental and physical wholeness
I create me,
I take half of the responsibility for my marriage
Together we create our marriage...

Because with this understanding
The possibilities are limitless.

I yearn for dating and being pleasantly uncomfortable. Finally, I agree with what I have been told for years:

I am likable.
I am joyous.
I am beautiful.
I am quality goods.

Unfortunately, one cannot find THE ONE. One of the world's best ironies. In this time, right now, I say for the first time... after years of doubt and growing through the pain, depression, and whimsy...

I am ready.
I call to you... wherever you are...
Whomever you are...
There is a soul...
in tune with mine...

Through the smiles of joy and defeat I arise victorious and rejuvenated...

Dustin Ashley Beam

P.S. It in invigorating to write these journey journals. Thank you, whomever reads this, for being my witness to the stories in my life.

Comments

Meg said…
I love you, and this blog/journal entry/writing, is why I love you all wrapped up in a nice shiny bow.

P.S you look hot in the last picture.
Thanks for the comment--I'll def take a stroll through your work.

www.jgradenholmes.com
Stephen R. said…
Wonderful blog and such an incredibly moving post. I feel just like you. Being a single and different gay man. It's not easy, is it?

I officiated the wedding of my friends Alanda and Steve a few years ago, so as their "reverend," I sat at their table. With all couples. And me. I was so happy for my friends and their wonderful day, but I never felt so single and so sad in my life. It was very hard.

I'm definitely adding you to my blogroll. Hope all is well!
Opal & Pearl said…
Oh, Dustin. After reading your blog, I realize that after all of these years, I miss you. I know we had a falling out of sorts because of someone I will not mention, but I just wanted you to know that one of the saddest parts of losing her friendship was really losing yours.

I hope all is well in your life. Always remember to be yourself ... there's no need to pretend because you're so great!

XOXO,
Candy Freeman

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

beautiful... semantic... choices... unfurled

myriad cornucopia plethora literally audacious entrancing vestibule dance periwinkle crimson altruism blueberry + muffin organic journey twilight hero hue cuddle pajamas heartened cadence intertwine kaleidoscope soliathero fathom innate perplexing labyrinth unrequited world flourish arise focus kindred besmirch indicative plenary wind-chime fluidity curiosity colours music harmony resolve .... poppet in the words i find solace, escape, expression, and boldness... in the blanket of these words i find... me... dustin