Skip to main content

Glory on this Hallows Eve






Halloween: The night that Julian, the Jester shall debut in his colourful splendor. I am attending a viewing of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and a party. Tomorrow night I am going to my second haunted house.

I find myself being thankful today, a sentiment usually reserved for THANKSgiving, but it is where I am. So, in the year of 2008, I shall dub it Thankoween and Hallowgiving. It will make the turkey that much spookier (Oooohhhh)....

My thankfulocities include:

My friends, Jay and Karen whom have generously opened up their hearts, lives, and home to me to live until I have found my own dwelling while the house-hunting of drama lingers on.

Their son, Quin, who is like my nephew, a son, a friend, and an effervescence in my days... I love him.

The ability to write and articulate my thoughts, ideas, and feelings.

My little late night viewing sessions of "The West Wing" on my adorable DVD player that is my bedmate.

Music: A few months ago I stumbled onto a composer's youtube videos. His name is Scott Alan and he wrote a song that spoke to me. I researched him and I enjoy much of his material. What a talent. Music unifies, it creates, it informs, it enriches, it heals. I wrote him on facebook and we had a brief exchange. That is the brilliance of facebook: the ability to connect with people whom you would never get to otherwise.

There are four constants of music for me (some newer gems and others are the pillars of my heritage):

Sandi Patty
Gavin Creel
Aladdin
Wicked

I am adding him to that cherished list. His lyrics, songs, stories soothe, entice, entrance, and awaken me. I will perform some of this material including that aforementioned grief number soon.

To all these things and much more, I lift my hands to the stratosphere and proclaim, "Glory!".

And glory to you on this day where we dress up like other creatures and, in my case, jovial people from the past. We should dress up more than on Halloween. (There should be some career path where that presents itself... wait... BLANK STARE and winks.)

I have included a few photos of haunted houses, one of some artistic Halloween masks, and a jester in homage of Julian, the jester that is struggling with juggling (one day he shall get it).

Also: As a footnote, I have included information about Halloween that I researched online and that I found informative.

Glory,

Dustin (Julian, the Jester for tonight)

FOOTNOTE OF WONDER:
The American tradition of "trick-or-treating" probably dates back to the early All Souls' Day parades in England. During the festivities, poor citizens would beg for food and families would give them pastries called "soul cakes" in return for their promise to pray for the family's dead relatives.
The distribution of soul cakes was encouraged by the church as a way to replace the ancient practice of leaving food and wine for roaming spirits. The practice, which was referred to as "going a-souling" was eventually taken up by children who would visit the houses in their neighborhood and be given ale, food, and money.

The tradition of dressing in costume for Halloween has both European and Celtic roots. Hundreds of years ago, winter was an uncertain and frightening time. Food supplies often ran low and, for the many people afraid of the dark, the short days of winter were full of constant worry. On Halloween, when it was believed that ghosts came back to the earthly world, people thought that they would encounter ghosts if they left their homes. To avoid being recognized by these ghosts, people would wear masks when they left their homes after dark so that the ghosts would mistake them for fellow spirits. On Halloween, to keep ghosts away from their houses, people would place bowls of food outside their homes to appease the ghosts and prevent them from attempting to enter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

Much Needed Silence

The past few days I have liked the darkness, the silence of my room. I have not come out much and have watched "Sleepless in Seattle" over and over and over and over. I started wondering why I want to be alone (I am not depressed at all) and started doing the roommate math. I have lived with 41 different people in my life. I have lived in 21 different living environments not including all the different times I moved around with my family as a kid. I have hit a wall where I just want ME time and a lot of it, no talking, no sharing, just alone time. In this much needed silence I find that I am a much simpler person than I once was, that I really love the quiet, and that it is time to live alone soon. I have done the roomie thing more than anyone I know and met some wonderful people, but I am overloaded with that experience. So, back to "Sleepless in Seattle" and my much needed silence. Dustin