Skip to main content

Holiday Homage Part Three: "Friends", the Series











In the first couple of months after my Father's death and funeral, all Mom and I did was eat, lay on the couch, and watch various DVDs. In the rare occasions I would venture out of the house, I would drive to Hastings and walk around the store in a haze and rent or purchase a film or TV on DVD to watch that night. It was my therapy walking amidst these fictional stories that were neat, tidy, and had happy endings.

Somewhere, in the chaos of my life, I stumbled upon "Friends". I had seen a few episodes during its ten year run on NBC, but was not really a fan. I rented a few episodes and put them on to watch, in the ritual that had become mundane, but three magical moments occurred in very rapid succession, moments I shall not soon forget:

It was the FIRST time I heard my Mom laugh again.
It was the FIRST time I saw that she was still in there fighting to be alive and vibrant.
It was the FIRST time she said, "Ross is cute."

I promptly went out and bought the entire series. I found it at an amazing price, but even if it had cost a few thousand dollars it would have been worth the investment.

In the past two years, there has rarely been a night that I have not played a "Friends" DVD. I love the characters (most particularly Phoebe, although all of them are priceless), the sharp writing, the situations, the love, the camaraderie, and the joy of it all.

It is my favourite series and one that helped me through the abysmal days and the all-too-familiar tick-tock of the lonely nights. To Marta Kauffman and David Crane, I thank you for creating a show that was (and still is) my therapy, my refuge, and my Wonderland.

I'll Be There for You (What an understatement.)

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear
When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even
your year, but

CHORUS:
I'll be there for you
When the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you
Like I've been there before
I'll be there for you
'Cause you're there for me too

You're still in bed at ten and work began at eight
You've burned your breakfast so far, things are going great
Your mama warned you there'd be days like these
But she didn't tell you when the world has brought you down to your knees, and

CHORUS

No one could ever know me
No one could ever see me
Since you're the only one who knows what it's like to be me
Someone to face the day with
Make it through all the best with
Someone who always laughs at
Even when I'm at my worst, I'm best with you
Yeah!

CHORUS

I'll be there for you
I'll be there for you
I'll be there for you
'Cause you're there for me too

I am grateful to be on the other side of grief, bound for new destinations.
I am thankful for all my friends, both on-screen and off,
Dustin

Comments

Josh Connolly said…
Ahh... Friends. Where would we be without them? :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

beautiful... semantic... choices... unfurled

myriad cornucopia plethora literally audacious entrancing vestibule dance periwinkle crimson altruism blueberry + muffin organic journey twilight hero hue cuddle pajamas heartened cadence intertwine kaleidoscope soliathero fathom innate perplexing labyrinth unrequited world flourish arise focus kindred besmirch indicative plenary wind-chime fluidity curiosity colours music harmony resolve .... poppet in the words i find solace, escape, expression, and boldness... in the blanket of these words i find... me... dustin