Skip to main content

The Other Side of Fourteen: 2009, Charlie, and Me






Last night was filled with firsts. It was the first time that I entertained for New Year's and the first time that people stayed over at the house afterwards. I went to bed late (or early depending on your labeling) and was filled with a sense of belonging and family because every bed contained a person I love.

For several years New Year's Eve made me antsy. I felt that I had to be at the "right place" and having the most fun imaginable when the year ended and the new one commenced.

On this night, we rise above ourselves and revisit the past year: our accomplishments realized, dreams that died, the person we hoped to be vs. the person we were/are.

I keep finding myself in awe of perception and how, if one merely flips the perspective even a fraction of a degree, all can change. I don't look at the New Year with dread anymore, like some point at the end of a line segment. I see it as a continuation of the circle, the invitation to renew and affirm. There is only pressure if I put the pressure on the new year and I CHOOSE not to do that to my new friend, Mr. 2009. (I think that he is a guy, 2008 was definitely a lady.)

Inevitably, I will grow, learn, seek, and create.

“Time is swift, it races by; Opportunities are born and die... Still you wait and will not try - A bird with wings who dares not rise and fly.”
 A. A. Milne (English Humorist, creator of Winnie-the-Pooh)

Expectation is an elusive phoenix... You have to know how to communicate with him, to invite him into your dreams. If you exhaust him with worry, he will become apathetic and burdensome, but let him fly, let him breathe the open air and he will alight on the tree of purpose and help give birth to a new creature. Balance the expectations with where the pilgrimage leads. The expectations are just a framework, an idea, but the phoenix might soar in another direction, a better direction. One cannot be strangled by one's own expectations. And even if there is "failure", like a phoenix, these expectations will be created anew and be perched for flight once more.

Sometimes one can suffocate the phoenix because one is so scared of the flight.

“I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it can't be helped.”
Gestalt prayer
 Frederick Perls (German born American psychiatrist)

I possess expectations of ME and the standards to which I hold myself, but have learned to let go...

...of what happens outside of me...
...to let life happen and not worry about what it was "supposed" to be, to do, to see.

I have learned that one the hard way. But, not this year.

Sir 2009, oh dapper one, I welcome you and look forward to our dates together. This time, I shall pick up the check. Oh, and this is my phoenix named Charlie. He is pleased to make your acquaintance.

The artist of my perception,
Dustin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

beautiful... semantic... choices... unfurled

myriad cornucopia plethora literally audacious entrancing vestibule dance periwinkle crimson altruism blueberry + muffin organic journey twilight hero hue cuddle pajamas heartened cadence intertwine kaleidoscope soliathero fathom innate perplexing labyrinth unrequited world flourish arise focus kindred besmirch indicative plenary wind-chime fluidity curiosity colours music harmony resolve .... poppet in the words i find solace, escape, expression, and boldness... in the blanket of these words i find... me... dustin