Skip to main content

Almracero


Today I was a little low; Nothing in particular happened, I just was.

All I did for an hour or more was sing. Sing from a place of purpose, of joy, of life.

A couple of months ago I named my voice. It is the MOST consistent thing in my life, my dearest friend, one of my greatest gifts, and therapy, power, love, passion, and ME all in one little voice box.

My dear ALMRACERO, you are my hero, my passion, my joy, my all.

Thank the world, the Fates, God, or whomever one happens to believe for this gift, this special talent that I have NEVER and promise to NEVER take for granted.

I remember when I was in seventh grade riding back from an All-region Choir audition. I was sitting in the middle of the bus on the right side and I remember looking out on the grey day and praying, almost pleading to God, "Please... Please let me be able to sing."

Little did I know that the next year my voice would change and the beginnings oy my musical road would unfurl.

Last night I listened to some recordings of me from 2000, 2002, 2003 and was giddy with the excitement of how far I have grown since those recordings and how blessed I am to be able to do what I love so dearly after all these years.

Thank you for blessing my hardships, my depressions, my dancing days, and my life dear, dear Almracero.

And thank you for reading and for listening to me sing,
Dustin

Comments

Meg said…
I'd let you sit on my piano any day.
Meg said…
I'd let you sit on my piano any day.
Anonymous said…
I've been there through it all you know. It's been a privilege and a joy to watch you from your being mistaken for me when answering the phone(somthing that infuriated you),to your developing your present strong voice. Watching you perform with such panache makes me proud as a mom can be. Here's to Almracero. -- Mom

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbroken Thread

Happy Christmas. It is upon us in this hour, this time, this day... after all the fuss, the frenetic pace, it smiles as it does each year finding us in some of the same places and in some different phases. I always flip through the rolodex of my life on this day, remembering the last 30 Christmases (well I guess I don't remember the first few that well) like they are all connected in one amazing thread charting my successes, my growth, my defeats, my darkness, and my light. Technically Christmas has not really begun. I have not done the ritual of heading to my Mom's and opening gifts and waltzing to see our Christmas film, but I have already been touched by Christmas. I write a lot, in this land of musings I have shared 257 writings with you, my friend, my reader spirits. Much has happened in these past two years, but let me simply write that I was not sure that I would ever enjoy Christmas again, ever really feel connected to it, no matter what I tried to do, I felt adrift ...

I Love the Clarks

I LOVE THE CLARKS!!!!!!!!!!!! (I used twelve exclamation marks/points to show the significance of the love and because twelve is my cosmic number.) It is that simple. Jay and Karen (and the illustrious Quin) allowed me to move into their lovely home under the proviso I would be out in a few days. Well that was October 18th and, look at your calendar folks, I am still here. I think that finally the light has bounced off of a nimbus cloud that I have not seen before and I might have a dwelling. But... I LOVE these two people. They just get me and leave me to my own devices. In this time where I have sequestered myself off into my own little respite lair, they have let me "do my own thing". And they are such lovely, talented, decent people. It has been my honour to get to know them more and their ultimate collaboration, THE Quin. He is the COOLEST child ever. I adore the boy. Tonight Jay, Karen, and I played a card game called Nerts. I am addicted and I saw new shades ...

Loving the Squiggly

I was typing the other day and instead of hitting the ! key I hit the ~ key. Two odd altercations happened between two friends and me via facebook so I have deactivated my account for a bit. It was hurtful and unexpected. So when I hit the ~ key it made me smile and forget all that nonsense. ~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dustin