Skip to main content

The Weekend of Smiles






A few things to note:

1. My Mama came to the show and adored it. I could hardly sleep the night before as I was so excited for her to see it. It was as if she had never seen me in a show ever. I was nervous and elated like a small child. Ha. She was extremely excited too. We are too darn cute. It is always one of my life's joys to perform for my Mama. Years ago, I would get so nervous I could not hardly think. I would make sure not to know where Mom sat. Now, I have to know where she is and use the nervousness as a tool to make a stronger performance. After the Ascot scene, there is a blackout in which I walk across the floor and get ready to enter for my song. My Mama Darling was sitting on the floor so I walked by her table and we grabbed hands in the blackout. She knew I was going to do it. It was a psychic Mama Son Moment (MSM). We have many of those. I am THANKFUL THANKFUL THANKFUL that we have entered a new season of friendship and that we can have these moments once more. She fuels me, makes me a better man, and has the best laugh ever. She laughed during a scene and I could barely contain myself.

2. For the past few weeks I have been reading "Funeral Food" by Kathleen Taylor. It is a murder mystery set in South Dakota. It was a chore delving into the book because I was reading it backstage and would get interrupted, I have not read in a bit and was finding it difficult to get my reading brained turned on, and the book was full of exposition. I thought about abandoning it, but decided I would finish. And it became quite enthralling in a who-dun-it-what-is-going-on type way. Although this may sound a bit odd, I was struck by the metaphor of "sticking through for one never knows how things will turn out". I was actually overwhelmed by the fact I read this little book and stuck with it and had I halted, I never would have known the conclusion. How often in life are we presented with an obstacle that is difficult and we give in too early without seeing it all the way to its end, without gleaning the lesson, the reason behind the obstacle. So, thanks to Kathleen Taylor and for metaphors in general.

3. It is well documented that I am one that is enjoying my home these days and it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare that I choose to leave and be social when I am not paid to be. (Not like a party whore, I merely mean I am paid to be a theatre man, an actor, etc. but that sentence is a keeper..) So tonight, Stephanie (my charming Eliza) and I went to see "The Time Traveler's Wife" at the Rave.

I so enjoyed myself. It was a night of smiles.

Steph and I began our evening playing Air Hockey. Holy Mother of Weasley, how I love Air Hockey. I am a bit twitchy and all over the place, but I created a technique all my own. I was giggling like a wild monkey and since it was Monday, the theatre was virtually deserted.

I thought "The Time Traveler's Wife" was artful, meaningful, and superb. I am oftentimes interested why a certain film is not well-received by a fair share of critics. What were they seeking in this film that was not satiated? Of course, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Mine is that the film is a keeper and one I shall own one day.

I have a deep and uncontrollable crush on Eric Bana. He is cinematic sex. Holy Wow!
And Rachel McAdams is certainly easy on the eyes.

Did I mention I am in love with Eric Bana? (I sense a song coming on.)

4. I had my first meeting for volunteering with children at a local hospital and it went well and it looks like it might be a good fit. I had not been interviewed in a while so I was a bit uncomfy. I kept hoping there would be a time for show and tell and song. Alas, that never happened. Ha. I am excited to start giving back in a new way and to see what I can learn in this new phase of life.

5. I am going to school tomorrow to get my financial aid matters handled and am hoping to make this a much better term for me than the past few. It is time to dig in and be the student I know I can be. I lost my university mojo there for a bit. Time to reclaim and aim.

6. Starting this week, I will officially commence aforementioned Operations. Oh my, here we go learning and seeking and doing. (The LSD with which I am familiar...)

7. I love and overuse the ellipsis. It... is... just... how... I... ROLL.

8. I also enjoy CAPITALIZING for effect. YAY!

9. I love dictionary.com for I had to use it to make sure I was using "effect" correctly or if I needed to use "affect". Oh that dictionary.com, how I love thee.

10. I adore "The Powerpuff Girls". Thanks to Jer for hooking me.

11. My roomie, Jacob shared with me "Better Off Ted". Hysterical quirky mound of YES!

12. I have derived much pleasure the past few weeks from watching various television programs. I love new shows, films, books, stories in any capacity.

2009 sparked much within that was new, familiar, difficult, spellbinding, hypnotic, and challenging. (And I have four and a half months more!) What a chameleon of a year that has taught me how to change colour in my environments and explore hues I never knew I could produce.

So, to my biggest fan (Mama) and holding your hand and loving your giggle,
to a good murder mystery and finishing what I started,
to air hockey, a touching film, and ERIC BANA,
to volunteering,
to school mojo,
to operations,
to ... ... ...,
TO,
to dictionary.com,
to Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup (especially Bubbles),
to "Better Off Ted",
to stories,
to 2009,
to a blog that has truly become a refuge and playground all in one,
and to finding the new hues...

The weekend of smiles grins affectionately,
Dustin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leprechaun Loving Lush

Tonight I got snockered with some bombastic leprechauns, dabbled in the cuisine of Acadia, conversed with some drunk oddities, called and text people in quite a state of lowered inhibitions/let's talk about life and giggle, and discussed trivial matters (Is "Sweeney Todd" actually a good film, why do I like "Twilight", etc.) as if life depended on how I articulated my stance in these matters. What an odd, fun, new, out-of-the-comfort zone night for me. Gloriously uncomfortable and disgusting decadent. YAY. Every day I seem to be doing something I have never done before: from the tiny to the grand. It is an experiment and I am loving and loathing it, and all the intoxicating in-betweens. (Yes, not-so-clever pun intended.) I hope that everyone had a wonderful St. Patty's day! (oh my, that is like Sandi Patty, but not at all...) Love, The DABalicious Leprechaun Loving Lush

And With This, Farewell

This blog has been a dear friend to me. I am not good at farewells, but truly this is anything but. I look at it like this - I love the phoenix, the symbolism of it all, the power of rebirth. Hence why I named my blog/musing screen after one. :-) So, I am leaving this particular blog to start another one, one that fits me NOW, the one that I can share in a new way. So this feels right. Thanks to those who have read my musings throughout the years. I hope you follow me to my new musing home entitled THE TWELVE THAT IS DUSTIN BAYLAN. Yes, I am changing the name, the story of that is on the new blog for you to read. Here is the link: http://dustinbaylan.wordpress.com/ Much love, much hope and joy again, much potential... Winks and smiles of the Cat that is Cheshire, Dustin Baylan

Much Needed Silence

The past few days I have liked the darkness, the silence of my room. I have not come out much and have watched "Sleepless in Seattle" over and over and over and over. I started wondering why I want to be alone (I am not depressed at all) and started doing the roommate math. I have lived with 41 different people in my life. I have lived in 21 different living environments not including all the different times I moved around with my family as a kid. I have hit a wall where I just want ME time and a lot of it, no talking, no sharing, just alone time. In this much needed silence I find that I am a much simpler person than I once was, that I really love the quiet, and that it is time to live alone soon. I have done the roomie thing more than anyone I know and met some wonderful people, but I am overloaded with that experience. So, back to "Sleepless in Seattle" and my much needed silence. Dustin