Skip to main content

Back On the Street Where You Live


To be doing a role I performed eleven years ago is fascinating. To see how I have grown as a singer, a storyteller, and as a man has been such an agreeable bonus to an already wonderful gig.

Singing "On the Street Where You Live" every night is like eating comfort food, it just does a soul good. Playing a character who loves so wholeheartedly and purely heals some parts of my spirit that have lost a little faith. I deeply feel I was SUPPOSED to be playing Freddy again. :-)

So, Lerner and Loewe, I salute you.

And Freddy, thanks for being my friend once more. I look forward to the journey every night. May I be as unashamed, as loving, and as British. (Well, two out of three isn't bad... ha)

To say that much has happened in the past eleven years would be obvious, but I am grateful that I am still singing, still telling stories through song. The circle of it all is enchanting, to be back in the same theatre again... sometimes it is as if I can sense the younger me and the present me conversing and hugging... such a spiritual experience this has become and one I NEEDED.

"People stop and stare, they don't bother me for there's nowhere else on earth that I would rather be. Let the time go by, I won't care if I can be here on the street where you live..."

Dustin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbroken Thread

Happy Christmas. It is upon us in this hour, this time, this day... after all the fuss, the frenetic pace, it smiles as it does each year finding us in some of the same places and in some different phases. I always flip through the rolodex of my life on this day, remembering the last 30 Christmases (well I guess I don't remember the first few that well) like they are all connected in one amazing thread charting my successes, my growth, my defeats, my darkness, and my light. Technically Christmas has not really begun. I have not done the ritual of heading to my Mom's and opening gifts and waltzing to see our Christmas film, but I have already been touched by Christmas. I write a lot, in this land of musings I have shared 257 writings with you, my friend, my reader spirits. Much has happened in these past two years, but let me simply write that I was not sure that I would ever enjoy Christmas again, ever really feel connected to it, no matter what I tried to do, I felt adrift ...

I Love the Clarks

I LOVE THE CLARKS!!!!!!!!!!!! (I used twelve exclamation marks/points to show the significance of the love and because twelve is my cosmic number.) It is that simple. Jay and Karen (and the illustrious Quin) allowed me to move into their lovely home under the proviso I would be out in a few days. Well that was October 18th and, look at your calendar folks, I am still here. I think that finally the light has bounced off of a nimbus cloud that I have not seen before and I might have a dwelling. But... I LOVE these two people. They just get me and leave me to my own devices. In this time where I have sequestered myself off into my own little respite lair, they have let me "do my own thing". And they are such lovely, talented, decent people. It has been my honour to get to know them more and their ultimate collaboration, THE Quin. He is the COOLEST child ever. I adore the boy. Tonight Jay, Karen, and I played a card game called Nerts. I am addicted and I saw new shades ...

Loving the Squiggly

I was typing the other day and instead of hitting the ! key I hit the ~ key. Two odd altercations happened between two friends and me via facebook so I have deactivated my account for a bit. It was hurtful and unexpected. So when I hit the ~ key it made me smile and forget all that nonsense. ~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dustin